WHERE: View > Import or Export > Items
Saasu supports importing from spreadsheet (CSV) files and some specific software packages and online applications. A header record must always be present in the first row. As long as the required headers for each format are provided, Saasu will be able to import them into your File.
Once you click the Import button, Saasu will attempt to import ALL records to your File directly. You cannot undo this once they are imported without deleting them one at a time so always ensure you are importing the right records.
Understanding your Inventory Method
It is important to note that Inventory methodologies have tax implications, so before choosing your preferred method, Saasu recommends you obtain a clear understanding from your advisors as to what method is best for you. It is also not an easy process to change your Inventory method once it is locked in, however it is possible.
Data MigrationHere's our top tips for migration:
- Always test a handful of data for import first
- Check data is consistent, be wary of commas in descriptions as CSV turns commas into column breaks
- Import no more than 500 rows per spreadsheet at any one time
- Consider leaving historical transactions behind, instead utilise CoA Opening Balances and for Inventory Opening Balances
Saasu's recommended order of migration is as follows:
- Chart of Accounts - Before this step, check your tax codes against Saasu via Settings (for this file) > Tax Codes to make sure they exist.
- Inventory Items - Before this step, refer to Valid Formats and Data below for hints on how to fill in some of the fields.
- Open unpaid Sales and Purchases - Both sale and purchase invoices can be imported via spreadsheet.
Format for CSV file
You can easily obtain a formatted Items CSV file by following these instructions:
- Create an item within Saasu, by clicking on Add > Item.
- From the main Items screen (Menu > Items), click on 'Spreadsheet (CSV)' to download the spreadsheet. It will contain completed columns to guide you. Avoid commas in item descriptions as this will cause an error during importing.
- Then, once the spreadsheet is ready to be imported, click on Items > Items > find the 'Import' button on the top right and follow the prompts. Test a handful of data first, to ensure it will import. Do not import more than 1000 rows at any one time.
Table of Reference:
|Header||Data rules and notes|
|Code *||maximum number of characters = 32|
|Description *||maximum number of characters = 4000|
|Is Inventoried *||Yes, No|
|Asset Category *||Only required if Yes is chosen for Is Inventoried|
|Is Bought *||Yes, No|
|Is Buying Price Inc Tax|
|Expense Category *||Only required if Yes is chosen for Is Bought AND Is Inventoried is No.|
|Purchase Tax Code *||Only required if Yes is chosen for Is Bought. Leave it blank if no tax code is applicable. For a list of valid tax codes that you can use, please sign in to your file then go to Settings > Tax Codes.|
|Minimum Quantity for Restocking Alert|
|Primary Supplier First Name|
|Primary Supplier Last Name|
|Primary Supplier Organisation|
|Primary Supplier's Item Code|
|Default Re-order Quantity|
|Is Sold *||Yes, No|
|Is Selling Price Inc Tax|
|Income Category *||Only required if Yes is chosen for Is Sold|
|Sale Tax Code *||Only required if Yes is chosen for Is Sold. Leave it blank if no tax code is applicable. For a list of valid tax codes that you can use, please sign in to your file then go to Settings > Tax Codes.|
|Cost Of Sales Category *||Only required if Yes is chosen for Is Sold and Yes for Is Inventoried|
|Is Active||Yes, No|
|Is Visible||Yes, No|
|Is Virtual||Yes, No|
Valid Formats and Data
Account and Bank Account fields
Enter value in the following format: Account Type: Account Name. For example:
- Asset: Computer Equipment
- Income: Sales
Valid values for Account Type:
- Other Income
- Other Expense
- Cost of Sales
Enter value without "$" and "," signs.
For example, 1200.23 and NOT $1,200.23
Default Re-order Quantity
This quantity can contain up to three decimal points, where as Rrp Incl. Tax can contain up to 4. If you need to enter multiple line value for description and notes, use \n to indicate a new line. As an example:
Text entered as This is Line 1\nThis is Line 2 will yield:
This is Line 1
This is Line 2
FAQ's about Importing Inventory Items
Can I bulk edit my Items in a spreadsheet?
Yes in Saasu when you export and edit your Items and then re-import them Saasu updates existing entries and adds any new ones. It relies on the Item Code to do this. If you change an Item code it's treated as new inventory. You just need to make sure that the spreadsheet tool that you use doesn't alter the integrity of the CSV format e.g. changes data like date formats etc automatically. Make sure you save changes and keep it as CSV format. A quick test with a small sample of inventory Items is best first up to check it works with your spreadsheet program. Export the CSV from the Items list screen in Saasu, edit the Item in your spreadsheet program and then re-import having being edited to inactive.
Can I import Stock on Hand quantities?
Importing from MYOB (Australia and New Zealand)
- Export your Inventory Items from MYOB ("File > Export Data > Items"). Make sure you export all fields, comma-separated, and the first row is a header record.
- Export your Accounts from MYOB ("File > Export Data > Accounts"). Make sure you export all fields, comma-separated, and the first row is a header record.
- Click Browse to select the file containing the Inventory Items you exported from MYOB.
- Click Browse to select the file containing the Accounts you exported from MYOB. MYOB uses account number to reference Account in its exported Inventory Item file. Therefore, you need to upload a file containing MYOB Accounts for Saasu to determine which one to use.If the Account referenced by an Inventory Item does not exist in your File, Saasu will add that Account to your File automatically. Otherwise, it will use the one that is already in your File.
- As Saasu's Tax Codes are different with MYOB Tax Codes, you need to specify how MYOB Tax Codes are mapped to Saasu Tax Codes. If you did not customise MYOB Tax Codes yourself, you can use the pre-selected mappings.
- Click "Import".